We have received several inquiries as to whether the National Open and the Chess Festival will be canceled. The short answer is we don’t know. What we do know is
- We intend to hold the event as planned if it is at all possible and, more importantly, if it is safe to do so.
- We hope to be able to make a firm decision before May 1. Until that time the $20 cancellation fee will still apply.
- The early entry fee deadline is extended to May 31st.
- Other organizers have switched their guaranteed prize funds to based-on prizes. At this time we are hoping to avoid that but we will announce any changes here.
- Soon there will be an option for a discounted non-refundable entry fee, which will be carried over to next year (June 16-20, 2021), if we or the player must cancel this year. We will also offer partial refunds to players already entered who wish to receive this discount. Advance entry is suspended at until April 7.
Nevada Governor Sisolak has ordered all casinos and non-essential businesses closed until April 30th. The Westgate Resort has cancelled all events through April 30th and hopes to reopen at that time. If that happens, it is likely that we will be able to proceed as planned.
We thank you for your continued support and ask you to bear with us in these trying times. Your support will help us to continue this great event for many years to come.
Alan & Janelle Losoff, Tournament Organizers